Mission: Vision :
Prepare all students for high school and beyond through: Inspire students to plan for college and beyond.
- Inspiring self-motivation
- Maximizing student growth
- Ensuring quality instruction in every class, every day
Hillside Middle school believes that:
• All students can learn best when learning styles are addressed
• Family support is vital to student learning
• Students learn best in a safe and nurturing school environment
• Every student needs an adult advocate
• Students are responsible for their own learning
Facts about Hillside:
- Hillside is the first school in the Salt Lake City school district to receive Silver level LEED status. Students and staff work daily to maintain the school's "green" standards and rigorous recycling program.
- Hillside has award winning music programs including choir, symphonic band, jazz band, HYPE and the largest orchestra of any middle school or high school in the District.
- Our school annually performs a school musical, the last of which cast over 180 students.
- Hillside has a Community Education After School Program which offers study help, intramural sports
- Hillside students have earned numerous awards in the District and Regional Science & Engineering Fairs.
- We offer Extended Learning Program (ELP) classes in History, Language Arts and Science.
- We retain highly qualified teaching staff. All teachers have a bachelor’s degree, 16 have a master’s and one has a doctorate. We have an accumulation of over 450 years of service which is an average of 16 years per teacher. Eleven different languages are spoken among our teachers.
- Service projects include: Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Donation Drive, gift baskets for Cystic Fibrosis, fund raising for local families in need, school clean ups, Food Bank and book drives.
GUIDING PRINCIPLES & STRUCTURES
Hillside believes that each student needs an adult advocate.
- Emotional - Counseling, non-threatening school climate, and trusted adults
- Social - Community of Caring values and reflective teaching practices
Hillside community has a shared vision of the Middle School Philosophy.
- Integrated, challenging, and exploratory curriculum
- High expectations for all students
- Family and community partnerships
- Extended day
- Team teaching opportunities
- Collaborative Learning Communities
Hillside believes in a positive school climate.
- Community of Caring values
- Harassment prevention
- Clean school and grounds
- Incentives for all students
- Commitment to emotional and physical needs of students
This page was last modified April 14, 2015
Copyright © Hillside Middle School
Salt Lake City School District